While, I could actually care less and my 6 year old literally wants to kick his ass, I decided to appease my lame editor (and nice one) by writing a somewhat (for now) local piece. Latest report is LeBron left his porch light on all night. People aren’t sure what to make of this. Leaders are scrambling to conduct an emergency meeting to investigate.
It’s so hard for me not to vomit on my keyboard while writing about James. “Thy worst NHL game is better than any NBA game, no?” said W. Axl Rose. But it appears to be more important to so many in this city than curing cancer so here goes…….
Why Lord Stanley will Keep LeBron out of Chicago. It’s simple really. There’s nothing LeBron can do to cast his shadow over Chicago sports legacies. Brad Seller’s notwithstanding (i don’t even know if I’m using that word correctly,) Chicago is full of rich sports history that even thy King is not fit for rewriting. Think about 21 year old Patrick Kane winning his first cup in a city where I’d argue that in spite of Michael Jordon, the Bulls are third, maybe 4th, behind the Hawks, Bears and Cubs. (sam am I correct?)
So back to the reasons in no particular order:
- Walter Payton. I loved that movie where he died.
- The Hawks……Jonathan Toews 22, Kane 21, will continue to be the toast of Chicago for years to come.
- Michael Jordan, Scotty Pippen, and those other guys who have 6 rings each.
- The kid who caught the foul ball.
- The Fridge. Led the way for fat guys to get touchdowns in NFL.
- Da Bears. Ditka and McMahon
- Blues Brothers
- Ozzie Guillen
(when he actually murders someone, he’ll move to first for certain.)
- The Chicago Wolves, because they are hockey.
- Bob Earl “Butterbean” Love.
The list goes on and on and on. If you’re searching for immortality, you need to make it happen, not stack the deck. LeBron in Chicago, NY, LA, or wherever he goes, is about as interesting network television. If he doesn’t win, it doesn’t matter. And if he win’s in those places, it matters less.
Is the world cup still on?